Lower back pain is a common issue among the masses and it is something that you might’ve experienced or you must know somebody who has it. According to a survey by the U.S National Institutes of Health in 2017, the prevalence of back pain was 40.1 % in Pakistan’s population. Out of these, 46.3 % of the people were age grouped between 50 – 59.
Many people have different approaches about how they handle their lower back pain. Some people avoid taking it as something serious until it becomes chronic, while others rush to the doctor straightaway.
Depending upon the seriousness of your problem, there are a number of ways you can deal with lower back pain. Most professionals recommend regular exercises to strengthen lower back at home as it helps you to prevent any serious long-term damage.
Therefore, we have shortlisted some of the basic lower back workouts for you to try at home. These mostly include lower back stretches as they are the most effective.
- Knee-to-chest stretches
Knee-to-chest stretches help you to broaden the lower back, which relives any kind of pain or stress.
In order to do a knee-to-chest stretch:
- Lie straight on your back
- Bend your knees, keep your feet flat on the floor
- Use both of your hands to pull one knee at a time towards your chest
- Hold the knee in the position for 5 – 10 seconds
- Return back to your normal position
- Repeat with the other leg
- Do it with each legs 2-3 times, twice a day
- Lying lateral leg lifts
Lying lateral leg lifts help you to exercise your hip muscles. These lifts help you strengthen your lower back and reduce any strain.
To do a lying lateral leg lift:
- Lie on your side with one leg on the other
- Keep your bottom leg slightly bent
- Support your head with your arm
- Raise your upper leg, keeping it as straight as you can, to the point where you can go easily
- Hold the position for around 3 – 5 seconds
- Repeat it 10 times
- Turn on the other side and repeat with the other leg
- Exercise 2 sets on each side
- Seated Lower Back Rotational Stretch
Seated Lower Back Rotational Stretch is another exercise that is fairly simple yet highly effective and gives you maximum results with minimum effort.
To perform, you need to follow the following steps:
- Sit on a chair, preferably with no arms, and place your feet flat on the floor
- Draw the bellybutton in and turn to the left, keeping your upper body intact
- Place your hands on your head for a steady body balance
- Stay in this position for 10 – 15 seconds
- Repeat on the other side
- Exercise each side 3 times a day
- Wall Sits
Wall sits are another good way to exercise your lower back. They are not too complicated and can be done with any straight wall.
You need to do the following:
- Stand 12 – 14 inches clear of a straight wall
- Lean back on the wall being precautious until your back is flat
- Bend your knees in a squat position
- Hold this position for 8 – 10 seconds
- Repeat 3 – 5 times, twice a day
After going through this blog, we hope you have a much better understanding about how to take care of your lower back pain in a better manner. Choose the exercise that you think will suit you the best and then exercise regularly for better results. Apart from the exercises, a good posture is also vital in managing the stress level on your lower back.
How do chiropractors treat Lower back pain?
By using hands-on manual Lumbar spine manipulation, chiropractors can bring about relaxation and loosen up your lumbar joints and muscles. Lower back pain caused by pinched or damaged nerves and muscle spasms can be treated via chiropractic Lumbosacral manipulation.
Moreover, since back pain is often caused by poor posture, misalignment between your spine and back can be a serious issue. Chiropractors use spinal adjustment and bring your discs and joints back in alignment with one another. This helps increase your physical mobility and decrease pain.
Chiropractors at Dr. Agha’s clinic use multiple techniques to provide relief from back pain. They also suggest self-management exercises and stretches to practice at home. As a result, you might not need medicines and surgeries to get rid of chronic lower back pain.
See a chiropractor today!
If you wish to learn more about your lower back pain and are seeking treatment for back pain, book an appointment here. Get a thorough consultation and have an expert Chiropractor at our clinic provide you with a personalized lumbar pain treatment.